How to Replace the Core of A Little Beaver Flex Shaft
If your auger is spinning erratically or not spinning when it begins to drill, the flex shaft of your machinery may need maintenance. Your Little Beaver machinery comprises many smaller pieces that you may not even know about, and while our machinery is built to last, it requires some maintenance. Little Beaver Store provides plenty of articles for various troubleshooting issues in our Resources Hub, but let's look at how to replace the core of the flex shaft on your Little Beaver machinery.
What Happens If the Flex Shaft Stops Working?
If the flex shaft is not cleaned and greased every 50 hours of operation, the flex shaft core or the whole assembly will need to be replaced. When the flex shaft stops working, the auger will spin erratically or not spin at all when it makes contact with the soil.
Replacing the Core of a Flex Shaft on Little Beaver Machinery
- Ensure that the on/off switch is positioned to OFF.
- Disconnect the throttle cables and kill wires from the unit.
- Remove the nuts and bolts that secure the half-moon flex shaft clamp to the clutch bracket.
- Remove the flex shaft clamp and pull the flex shaft away from the machine. You may need a little force to wiggle the flex shaft so the drum releases from the rotor.
- Remove the drum from the end of the flex shaft. Loosen the set screws, then gently twist, pull, and hit with a rubber mallet.
- Lay the flex shaft on the ground. Secure one wrench to the flex shaft housing and another on the end assembly. Ensure the wrench on the end assembly will rotate counterclockwise and step down to gain leverage and loosen the connection.
- Unscrew the end assembly from the flex shaft housing. If the core will not pull out, you will need to replace the entire flex shaft assembly.
- As you slide a new core into the flex shaft into the housing, grease with white lithium tool grease. Start at the stub end of the core and squeeze as you slide the core in.
- Screw on and tighten the end assembly.
- Replace the drum and tighten the set screws.
- Align the flex shaft with the machine and replace the flex shaft clamp and hardware.
- Reconnect the throttle and kill wires.
Little Beaver Flex Shaft Replacement Parts
If you have any further questions, please visit our Resources Hub for informational and instructional content or reach out to our sales representatives. They are happy to help in any way they can!Contact Us